Durham Western Heritage Museum?- Omaha, Neb.
The Durham Western Heritage Museum lecture hall project transformed a former boiler room that was built in 1899 into a 266-seat theater. Kiewit replaced the original concrete floor and installed cast-in-place concrete seat risers. The existing masonry was sandblasted and tuck pointed to restore its original look and the room's steel roof trusses were cleaned and refinished.
Kiewit installed multiple data ports which power the podium controls, giving presenters multiple stage configurations while maintaining the ability to control lighting and audio/visual components. The presentation space was also fitted out with video conferencing equipment, which allows the museum to host interactive distance learning activities. Some acoustical material to improve performance was incorporated, but amount used was kept to a minimum to avoid covering the original building materials. Also added was a green room for speakers and presenters with a cast-in-place concrete canopy entrance.